Bake your cockatiels these muffins; wrap and freeze each individually so that you can remove and defrost them over the next few months.
This is a good way to get some nutritious ingredients into your birds, at the same time putting a smile on their beaks!
- 1 1/2 cups unprocessed oat bran
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or, a combination of nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger)
- 1 cup cooked, mashed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
Combine bran, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, and spice in a large bowl; stir well.
Make a well in the center of the mixture.
Combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, and applesauce; stir well.
Add to dry ingredients, stirring until moistened.
Spoon into muffin pans coated with margarine or non-aerosol vegetable cooking spray, filling cups 3/4 full.
Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
Remove from pans immediately.
Yield: 1 dozen. Enjoy one with your cockatiel!