Household Safety For Your Pet Bird

birds, parakeet, ornithology-7045043.jpg

There are an amazing number of things in the average house that hurt or kill your bird. It is better to be aware of them BEFORE trouble occurs. Houseplants can be poisonous-as a general rule, do not allow your bird access to any plant. Even safe plants might have been treated with bug spray that you do not know about-spray residue can kill birds too! Beware of windows.

Open windows are an invitation for your bird to escape (yes, even tame birds will fly the coop if given the chance!), and sliding windows can fall and injure or kill birds sitting on the sill beneath them. Birds that can fly (or think they can fly) will sometimes get confused and try to fly through the glass. If your bird can become airborne, keep the drapes shut while it is flying (and clip its wings as soon as possible!) Keep toilet lids closed-many birds have slipped in while trying to get a drink or a closer look at their reflection, and have drowned this way.

It is best to keep your bird out of the kitchen if anything is cooking. Do not permanently locate the cage in the kitchen. Cooking fumes can suffocate birds (their respiratory systems are much more sensitive than ours and absorb airborne impurities very easily).

Especially avoid using non-stick cookware such as Teflon or Silverstone. When heated to 530 degrees, which can occur when someone forgets a pan on the stove a bit too long, it releases toxic fumes which will kill all the birds in the house in 10 minutes or less. There is no antidote. Teflon non-stick burner drip pans reach 530 degrees every time they are used. It is better to not own non-stick pans at all than take this risk! Non-stick irons, Teflon curling irons, potpourri pots and other non-stick appliances are also very dangerous.

Beware the common household cleaner! Anything that comes in a spray can is potentially toxic to birds. The propellants are dangerous, and the fine mist that results is too easily absorbed into sensitive bird lungs. Paint, paint thinner, varnish, bleach, glue, perfume, wood smoke, ammonia, hair spray, deodorant, room freshener, cigarette smoke, car exhaust, kerosene heater fumes, nail polish-these have all proven harmful to birds!

This is not by any means a complete list of harmful substances. A general rule is: anything that has a fragrance (pleasant or not), or comes in a spray-propelled form (even pump-type bottles), could hurt your bird. Read all labels for safety precautions before opening any cans or bottles. If you must use potentially harmful items, USE THEM OUTSIDE! If you are doing chores with your bird, be sure the chores are safe for it!

Don’t ever allow your new baby to run around on the floor. It is much too easy for someone to enter the room and accidentally step on or kick the bird. Broken bones in birds are very difficult to fix. A safe place for your bird to play is on a large surface like a bed or table.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *